Banana bread is a perfect treat for Celiacs. It can be enjoyed for breakfast but also as a snack/dessert. It is especially popular amongst fans of Paleo diet. Although it is called ‘bread’ it is sweeter and more moist than conventional (gluten free) bread. The recipe calls for baking soda instead of baking powder. The former is believed to be healthier. This banana bread is very easy to make. You can be very flexible with the recipe and adjust the ingredients to your own taste. There is endless variations and it seems impossible to fail it :D It is important, however, to store it in a cool place or in a fridge. Freezing is another safe option to preserve it.
- Gluten free, lactose free, soy free, refined sugar free
- Suitable in the vegetarian diet (who eat eggs) and the Paleo diet
- Easy to make
- Almond flour – 150g (or any other gluten free flour(s))
- Bananas – 3 (the best are the really ripe ones)
- Eggs – 3
- Honey – 5 spoons
- Desiccated coconut – as much as you like (I added 5 spoons)
- Nuts – as much as you want (I used ½ of a cup of walnuts)
- Baking soda – 2 tea spoons
- Salt – a pinch
- Optional: chocolate pieces, raisins, dates or other dry fruits, cinnamon, vanilla.
- You can use kitchen processor to blend bananas with eggs or you could also first -beat the eggs with a fork, and then – mash bananas with a fork and in the end- combine them together.
- It’s possible to substitute almond flour partly or fully with another gluten free flour(s) of your choice.
- To sweeten the bread – you can use honey but also dates or other sources of sugar.
- Sift baking soda into flour using a small sieve; this way it doesn’t form any clumps.
- A bowl and a spatula (to mix all ingredients)
- A tea spoon (to measure baking soda etc)
- A kitchen processor (to chop nuts and blend bananas with eggs)
- A baking form
- A baking paper
- Optional: a pan to melt chocolate (for a topping)
- A pre-heated to 170 degrees oven
- Optional: kitchen balance
- Switch on the oven – 170 ºC.
- Prepare a baking form; spread baking paper if necessary.
- Chop nuts into smaller pieces and put them aside.
- Place bananas and eggs in a kitchen processor and blend until smooth consistency.
- Pure the bananas-eggs dough into a bowl and add to it other ingredients: flour(s), baking soda, salt, coconut, nuts, honey.
- Optional: you can add other ingredients like pieces of chocolate, dry fruits and spices.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and pure it to the baking form.
- Bake your banana bread for about 40 minutes at temp 170ºC (the duration depends on the oven).
- Afterwards, when your bread cooled down a bit, you can spread a topping on it. I used chocolate and almond flakes.
This bread-cake is amazing! I fully recommend it :-)