I have been looking for a seasonal and satiating vegetarian dinner inspiration the other day and I created this amazingly delicious butternut squash stew with red lentils and chilli con carne spices. I used different winter root vegetables and white beans together with lentils. The result was so much better than expected that I decided to share it with you and of course use it myself again. The recipe is very easy to follow and doesn’t require standing in a kitchen for a long time. Basically, you through cut veggies on a pan and let them cook.
- Butternut squash – 1
- Carrots – 2
- Parsnip – 1
- Onion – 1
- Bell pepper – 1/2
- Red linzen (dry) – 2/3 rd cup
- Cold water – 3-4 glasses
- Chilli spices (ready blend e.g. Beltane or self-made) – sea salt, paprika, dry onion, pepper, turmeric, coriander, dry garlic, cumin, caraway, chili, oregano, savory, bay leaf;
- Tomato sauce (1 cup; I used AH organic natural)
- Petersley – chopped 1 cup
- Garlic – 3 gloves chopped or pressed
- White beans in tomato sauce ( I used half of the pot from Lidl)
- Small piece of ginger – chopped or pressed
- Olive oil/Butter – 1 spoon
- Cut the squash half. Then each of halfs cut half again. Repeat one more time. You should end up with long stripes by now. Cut off the squash from the outer part and cut in cubes.
2. Wash and peel vegetables, then cut them in small cubes/chunks.
3. Heat olive oil on a pan and add cut onion and garlic. When soft add other vegetables: squash, carrots, parsnip, bell pepper. Stir while frying shortly. Then add 3 glasses of cold water, lentils and chilli spices. Let it boil until everything is soft.
4. Afterwards add white beans in red sauce, red sauce and chopped petersley. Let it boil some more.
5. Try and eventually add more spices/salt if needed.
It can be served with rice, bread or as a sauce on potatoes :-)