A delicious, multi-coloured salad is my favourite lunch. Especially, when it contains avocado. Below, a couple of salads I managed to photograph before enjoying them!
Why it is healthy to eat salad every day
- Vegetables are a great source of dietary fibers
- Vegetables contain powerful antioxidants like vitamin C and E, folic acid, lycopene, and alpha- and beta-carotene. Antioxidants protect your body from damage caused by free radicals
- Addition of avocado, olive oil, seeds & nuts increases a ratio of healthy fats in a diet! They also help your body in absorption of the protective phytochemicals
- Easy and tasty way to consume the big part of the daily vegetable intake. A delicious (homemade!) dressing will guarantee that you enjoy your salad!
- It will boost your energy
- Italian research showed that eating raw vegetables and olive oil reduced mortality among people above 60!
- Use as many colors in your salad as you can
- Add small amounts of seeds and nuts (one small handful is enough!)
- Don’t be afraid to splash some good quality olive oil there
- I use lemon juice in each and every salad
- If you add avocado – you don’t even need to make a dressing
- I add legumes (beans, lentils) for additional proteins
- Both: raw and boiled vegetables should have a place in your daily menu – it’s tasty to add boiled vegetables to your salad too
- Boiling vegetables containing beta-carotene will increase its absorption from 2-5% to 70%!
- My regular dressing: juice from half lemon, few spoons of olive oil, sea salt. Simple and healthy.
How to make a perfect salad dressing (source: unknown; found somewhere on net)
Recently, I added a pineapple to my salad (featured picture) and it turned out a great additional flavor!