My mum makes pate since I can remember. Every Xmas, every Easter :-) It is my favorite processed meat.
This year (at Easter), I made my own pate for the first time. I read the recipe from Bezglutenowamama.pl (here), I called my mum for more tips and I went to shop to buy all ingredients.
Such homemade pate is fully nutritious and delicious. It contains no preservatives or other functional ingredients.
Tips from my mum
- Don’t use lean pork. Make sure there is some fat on it (so the pate is not dry)
- Cook beef 30 min longer than pork
- Don’t boil/fry liver – place it in boiled water and let it cool down (boiled liver will taste bitter)
- Beef, pork and bacon can be boiled together
- It is enough to grind meat once
- You can omit butter in recipe if you used enough bacon and fatty piece of pork
- You can use any liver, e.g. from pork or chicken
- Don’t add salt to the boiling meat
- Beef – 500 g
- Pork – 500 g
- Raw bacon – 500 g
- Liver (I used chicken) – 500 g
- Eggs – 5
- Butter (in room temperature) – 250 g <*for Paleo leave it our or use ghee, lard, more bacon or replace with more vegetables>
- Carrots – 2 big ones
- Onions- 2
- Parsnip – 2
The machine (meat mincer) I use to process meat (see picture).
Any other kitchen processor you might have at home will do a good job too.
- Boil water and add beef to it. Cook for 30 min. Then, add pork, bacon, carrot and parsnip (optional: onion) to it and boil for another 45-60 min.
- Remove boiled meat from the water and put into the boiled hot water the liver. Let it stay in water until cold.
- Optional: you can fry onion or let it boil with meat. I boiled mine.
- Grind the cooled down meat, liver and vegetables together once. Mix together well.
- Add eggs, butter and spices to the mix. Make sure all is well combined. You can use spoon to mix it or your hand.
- Place the mix in a baking form (spread butter on it first or use baking paper) and decorate (for example with vegetables or herbs)
- Bake pate with a cover for 30 min at 180 °C. After, uncover it and bake it for another 30-45 min until golden brown.
From the ingredients listed in the recipe I made two forms as shown on the picture above.
Feel free to modify the recipe. You don’t eat pork? Leave it out! It is a great opportunity to incorporate organ meat in a diet without the ‘bleh’ effect ;-) Play with ingredients and their amounts for the taste that suits you best.