Pff hot summer days. For the last two days I was more than happy to live on salads and raw vegetables. As long as the food was cold, I was fine. The idea of switching on the oven or cooking felt a bit like a torture. But today, I felt ready for a decent meal, cooked vegetables and warm proteins. A nutritious, warm, not too ‘heavy’ meal – vegetable curry with chickpeas.
- Preparation within 30 min
- Very easy preparation
- Gluten-free & dairy-free
- Egg-free, soy-free, corn-free
- Delicious and nutritious
Ingredients (for 3 normal portions / two normal and two small portions)
- Chickpeas – about 150-200 g
- Zucchini – 1
- Leek – 1
- Carrots – 4
- Rice – 2 cups
- Coconut milk – a tin
- Curry spices* – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Fat to fry – one tea spoon
- Optional: fresh ginger, parsley
*Coriander, Fenugreek, Turmeric, Cumin, Black Pepper, Bay Leaves, Celery Seed, Nutmeg, Cloves, Onion, Red Pepper, And Ginger. (Or you can buy ready mix like I did ;)
- To save time I used pre-soaked chickpeas in a glass pot
- By using organic vegetables you can decrease amount of consumed pesticides
- I used ghee for extra flavor
- Cutting board
- Frying pan
- A pot/steamer (to cook rice)
- Start boiling water and cut vegetables
- Place rice in a pot and cover it with boiled water. Boil rice till ready (the cooking time depends on rice, I always try it from time to time until I like its texture)and drain it.
- Warm up the pan with a little bit of fat and fry first: leek and carrots. When they become soft, add zucchini and chickpeas.
- When all vegetables are soft-ish, add coconut milk and (curry) spices. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Enjoy your meal,